So, you have finally set-up a blog/website. But you are not receiving any organic traffic, the traffic from search engines. One of the most common reason that can cause this is that search engines are not aware of your website. This is because their crawler, the part of the search engine which is responsible for discovering URL’s has not yet visited your website. The crawler crawls to the links on the page it is currently crawling on. Since your site is new and nobody is linking to you, you need to tell Google about your website by submitting sitemaps.
Generating Sitemaps For Google And Other Search Engines
To submit sitemap to Google, you need to have one first. If you have it then skip this part, else, read below to know how you can generate one for your website.
Generating Sitemap For Blogger
We have an easy to use Blogger Sitemap Generator tool. Just type the number of posts on your blog, and it will generate the sitemap for you. The article also shows you how you can submit that sitemap to Google.
Generate Sitemap For WordPress
There are many plugins for wordpress that allow you to generate sitemaps. The best one is the Google XML Sitemaps
Now hopefully, you have your sitemap(s) ready, and now we can submit it to google.
Submitting Sitemaps To Google
- Open Google Webmaster Tools.
- Now you need to add and verify your website. If already done, go to the next step, otherwise, click the “ADD A SITE” button and enter the URL of your website. Now Google will give you many ways through which you can verify your website. Do it the way you feel comfortable.
- Once your website is verified, navigate to the “Crawl > Sitemaps“. Click the “ADD/TEST SITEMAP” button and paste the sitemap you generated.
- Click the “Submit Sitemap” button.
- If you have more than one sitemap, repeat the steps 3 and 4 for each of them.
That’s it, you have successfully submitted your sitemaps to google and your site will be indexed soon.
You can also search for “site:mstoic.com” in Google, to check how many and which of your site’s URLs are listed in Google’s database. Don’t forget to replace “mstoic.com” with your domain name.